Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ricky

My first year as a camper we were in Cabin 15, with George Clayton as a counsellor, and Steve Leonard in 16 as a buddy counsellor. The one kid that I remember clearly was Ricky. Strangely enough, I even remember his last name, after 30 years.

Ricky was fanatical about having his bunk clean, and being on time to everything. He always had to be first in line, and would complain bitterly if he felt he was being taken advantage of in any way.

Of course this got old quickly, and Ricky got to be the butt of many jokes and harmless abuses.

I remember one rest period it was raining, and we were stuck in the cabin. We were teasing the way 11 year olds would tease, and Ricky was becoming more and more agitated. The funny part was that the madder he got, the more he cleaned. He would even close the windows because of the water that would puddle on the tilting windows of the cabin. Eventually the rain stopped and we were able to go out before there was any blood shed.

I mention Ricky because I teach a boy just like him now.

His parents medicate the hell out of him.

I wonder what Ricky would be like today, and I wonder how my student would have done at Camp.
Bob

No comments: