Thursday, September 27, 2007

The pause that refreshes

Its been hot here lately, with temps at record highs, above 90. It reminded me of how much I liked that water fountain that was in between the Boys lodge and the AD shack. I always thought it had the best water in camp. There were other places to get a drink, but for some reason I loved that one. Then one year maintenance decided to turn it off. I never knew why, but I guess it was just beyond repair.

I remember the silly games that the boys used to play with it, plugging the little hole so it would fill up, and sometime playing in the mud and gravel from the overflow.

Getting a drink in the 8-1/2 was sometimes and adventure, if the place hadnt been cleaned properly, but the best part was that you could stick your head underneath the faucet and really get cooled down.

About the best place to get cooled down, besides the pools, was under the watertower when it overflowed. That didnt happen very often, but it was a real treat when it did.

Thats all I have for today

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about the fountains in the girls' camp. For some reason, the water always tasted sweet to me.

Must've been all that radiation from Fernald. (do you hear a bit of sarcasm there?!)

:) Beth~