Sunday, August 5, 2007

Warning: This Entry is a Rant

I drove by camp yesterday. In retrospect, I wish that I had not. I have been avoiding going by since I knew that they were going to develop the property into a subdivision.

It’s not like I was going to get overly emotional when I saw what was happening. Camp is gone, we all know that. But I regret what it has become.

I used to brag that I could find my way around the property blindfolded. Yesterday, I was not sure that I could even place where the Gatehouse had stood.

The corral is gone, and so is the forest that had been planted near it.

We all saw the pictures from Joe Wessel’s Blog showing the local fire department burning down the Girls Lodge.

The pond that the previous owner had built is gone, and the front hill has been re graded.

All that we knew and loved has been removed.

The sad irony of it all is that the developer chose to keep the name Fort Scott.

The grounds are nothing but a bunch of mid price houses and cul-de-sacs now. I always flinch when a developer announces a new subdivision and they call it something like “The Oaks” or “Settler’s Walk” or “Deer Creek”, and brag about the natural setting and walking trails. What is natural about asphalt and manicured lawns? The only way a deer would be seen there was if it got lost.

I did not drive down the streets.

I think I would have been sickened to see Schroeder Way, or Pottenger’s Lane.

If there is one bright spot in all of this, it has strengthened my resolve to preserve what is left. And I will confess that I don’t do this for my kids, or for posterity, or even for you, the person that might be reading this rant right now. I do this for me.

Fort Scott was sacred a sacred place for me. Some of my happiest memories of my youth originate at Fort Scott. I never had a job where I made less money, but that brought more joy and happiness into my life.

Long Live Fort Scott

Bob

3 comments:

Sharon said...

My husband and I drove out there on a nice spring Saturday. I too got all confused and turned around. So I just had to go to Flicks, drink a beer, get some cheese puffs, and chat with Linda and the regulars....it was good for the soul.

Troubador said...

I want to get a copy of the menu and post if for old times sake.

I wonder if they have carryout menus....

Bob

Anonymous said...

Preserve and rant all you want, you will always be a Fort Scotter and no one can take that from you. Remember that we are not the only campers to suffer a loss to urban development, camps have closed all across the country and you never seem to hear of new ones opening. Send your kids to camp, let them develop their own memories to pass on to their children. If they love it as much as we loved Fort Scott, do whatever you can to help ensure the future of that camp. Donate money, time and labor, supplies and tell others what a great camp it is. A full camp is a successful camp! I have vowed to never drive past the old camp again, a vow I hope I can keep. The pictures alone of the changes is enough to bring tears to my eyes. This is my rant, thanks for letting me add it to yours.

Bill FS Camper '69, '71, '73