Friday, August 3, 2007


I probably shot down a thousand airplanes that day.

I crawled through mud, and dirt, and straw, and of course horse manure. I rode a broom everywhere I went, and had to know the correct knots to tie my "horse" to a railing or tree or something when we went in to eat.


We had to have demonstrated our ability to ride, or at least not fall off or panic when the horse decided to be contrary.


We helped saddle. We helped feed and clean the stalls. We helped the counselors with program. We worked our butts off.


Finally, on awards night, we got called down to the pool apron and received our patch and got to sing the Cavalier Anthem.


As a camper, this was one of the best nights of my life.


I wish I could find that patch.


Blood on the saddle

Blood on the ground


Great big puddles of blood all around


Pity the cowboy


Bloody and Red

the old cow pony

done stomped on his head.


Did they do this in the girls camp?


Have a great weekend


Bob

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, we girls did prtend brooms were horses but we certainly sang the song! :-)

Troubador said...

Hey, thanks for posting!

If I posted a guestbook would you sign it? I would love to know who is coming to the blog.

Bob

Sharon said...

Hi Bob,
Just discovered this blog...I will definitely be back to visit and respond...keep it up!
Sharon (Morton) Walterman
FSC Camper 1973
FSC Counselor 1982-1984

Troubador said...

Sharon,

It is so good to hear from you. I remember you from camp although we did not get a chance to get to know each other.



I would love it if folks would actually leave a comment or their names now and then.

If you have stories to share, or memories from the Girls camp, I would be delighted to post them also. It has definitely been guy’s point of view so far.



See you soon

Bob