Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Serenity

During my time as a counselor at Fort Scott, I think there was only one or two weeks that I did not have a cabin.
Most times, this was not a problem, I enjoyed the kids, and I made it a point to participate in their programs. I didn't do this out of a sense of duty, it was just fun for me, and I connected with the campers better that way. Now and then though everyone, including me needed a break from the mayhem.

Sometimes it was as simple as taking a swim during rest period, or a walk in the woods- just somewhere that was quiet and had a little solitude. With me, I would usually try to find a way to retreat into my music somehow. Maybe it was a quiet hour in my cabin with head phones or just sitting down at Wagner doing cabin assignments and having a radio playing softly nearby.

One of my favorite memories of Serenity amidst the chaos happened when I was an AD. The camp had purchased a really nice PA system and I had taken it upon myself to take care of it. I was setting up for Counsellor Stunt night and most of the boys hill was either playing games, or at Chapel. The bowl of the hill above the boys pool had become an oasis of quiet. I put in a tape of the Soundtrack of the Man from Snowy River, and sat in the middle of the hill, just listening.

It was a nice way to get re focused and back into the swing of things.

How about the rest of you? Got any good stories to share?

No comments: