Thursday, February 14, 2008

Wishful thinking

It was 10 degrees this morning when I woke up.

There was ice on the windshield of my truck and the windows were frozen shut.

I was caught by a train and cut off by a rude driver on my way into work.

I received phone calls from three employees telling me that they were not coming in to work today. After all these years, they still have not learned to lie convincingly.

It was better when I would wake up in the morning and look out my cabin door and see the fog over the stable field and the dew glistening on the grass

It was better when I was tired from being up late watching the stars from cabin walk and consoling a homesick camper, not from being up working on a project that might or might not actually get built

It was better when my breakfast was a bowl of Apple Jacks, a cold pop tart and some ice cold milk, rather than a Egg Mc something and a Coke that I gobble down on the way to a meeting in the morning.

Schedules were not nearly so important. If breakfast was ten minutes or twenty minutes late, there were no cell phones buzzing on my hip with someone on the other end demanding to know what my ETA was.

Fort Scott was not a job to me. It was a summer long vacation. I have many blessings in my life. I have a wonderful family. I get to make music most nights of the week. I have a home, a career, and good health.

I still miss Fort Scott

1 comment:

William Meltebrink said...

As I think I mentioned before. I really wished I could have been a counselor. I was a Senior the last year I could attend Fort Scott during the last session of the summer in the last year the camp was open. I was all set to be a CIT and a counselor. From what I could see in my later years at FSC the counselors had as much fun as the campers.

Great memories !