Thursday, February 28, 2008

10 things about Canoe Trips

Ten things I remember about canoe trips

1. No matter how many times I went down the Whitewater river, I always noticed something new

2. I thought the songs the girls sang on the bus were annoying. I would give a lot to hear them again now

3. Bologna and cheese on slightly stale damp bread never tasted so good

4. I always liked taking the lead canoe ( rank has its privileges ). I appreciated the peace of the river, and the company and conversations were wonderful

5. I never did get invited to a moonlight float…

6. I never could get the hang of putting a canoe on my shoulders to carry them up the hill

7. I will never forget the day that Keith Kinzler and I took Kayaks instead of canoes. We could make it all the way from the head of the pack to the rear of the pack in no time at all. Racing was fun, and so was teasing the kids

8. There was a counselor canoe trip the year that Jessica Vesper was a CIT. She hurt her hand somehow and had to have stitches. Kind of put a damper on things. I think it was that same year that she got a bug in her ear ( I am not kidding) and I had to take her to the hospital in the middle of the night to get it out. Not a good year for Jess

9. Somehow senior girls who were afraid of spiders and would spend hours in the shower dressing for a senior dance had no problems throwing mud

10. Years afterward when we took the same canoe trip with a group of friends, it just was not the same. It didn’t even seem like the same river.

3 comments:

William Meltebrink said...

Hiding and flipping the senior girls canoes was a good part of the canoe trips.

Great times !

Sharon said...

I loved the canoe trips...but personally I loved being sweep canoe...got a good view of all the tipped canoes!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.