Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ten Things....

I got this idea from other Blogs and decided to fit it to this one and make it a series

10 Things I remember about....

The Play House
1. it was the first Fort Scott building I ever remember being in. My first incoming Sunday as a camper, they processed all of the new campers there, took temps and so forth. I remember it like it was yesterday, Carol Leonard telling everone to "squishy wishy" together.

2. playing dodgeball or floor hockey in there was always so much faster that it was in my school gyms because it was smaller and the floors were slick

3. when they installed the new lights in there, it would always take them forever to come on

4. I was in there one night shooting basketball and Allen Fazenbaker's dog Cinnamon, chased a skunk in there.

5. There was that one basketball hoop that was set lower than the others. It was fun seeing the kids jam a basketball in there

6. I saw the movie Star Wars there for the first time.

7. I suprised more than one couple that had chosen the play house as a place to spend some quiet time. I never did it on purpose, I was usualy as embarrased as they were

8. I remember a troop of tumblers and acrobats that camp brought in, and they had set up in the playhouse. One of the men on his tumbling runs was jumping on a mini tramp. I was sure he was going to hit the ceiling

9. We used it for midget junior dances. I think the counselors had as much fun as the campers

10. There was gravel underneath the bleachers.

Bob

2 comments:

Abu Saif al-Andalusi said...

original and nice blog
Mine: http://elbaluartedeoccidente.blogspot.com/
Luis

Anonymous said...

My Ten Playhouse Memories (from the late 40's and early 50's) Include:

1. My first night as a camper (1948) the entire camp squeezed into the Playhouse to watch the movie "Bambi" (the film broke several times and we learned camp songs during the repair).

2. Snakes, racoons and other varments were caged for display on the East side of the building.

3. Bob Oberschmidt's nature den was on the West side. There were displays of leaves, bark, Indian baskets and pots, insects, etc.

4. When I was a counselor and Director of the Handicraft Dept. we painted backdrops for the annual camp variety show in the Playhouse.

5. Also, most piano rehearsals for the show began in the Playhouse before moving to the stage area at the pool. I especially remember Alice Fox (later Koesters) practicing "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend."

6. Doc Schroder was always first to leave the mess hall after breakfast to be at the infirmery for sick call. We watched him stroll through the Playhouse on the way.

7. Many rainy day activities took place in the Playhouse.

8. A near tragedy happened when P.D. Cane caught his Xavier class ring on a basketball hoop (when attempting a jump shot) and nearly ripped his finger off. (circa 1955)

9. One summer there were two coons and only one cage in the Playhouse Nature Den. One was male, one female. The male wouldn't leave the female alone, no one wanted to build a second cage so Dr. Schroder's student medical assistant castrated the beast.
Problem solved.

10. A lover's meeting in a dark corner of the Playhouse when someone wandered through and stopped to pee on a tree just outside the North door.